Re: massive memory leaks in X

On Tue, Nov 28, 2000 at 10:13:11AM -0800, Ian Eure wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Nov 2000, Charl P. Botha wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Nov 27, 2000 at 03:25:52PM -0800, Ian Eure wrote:
> > > since i've upgraded my workstation to potato 2.2r1, i've seen some really
> > > huge memory leaks with X; on the order of 100-200mb.
> > >
> > > i've submitted a bug, #77322, but have not gotten any reply.
> > >
> > > i'm just curious to know if anyone else has seen this happen. i've got a
> > > PIII-450, 192mb ram, and a matrox g200 agp.
> >
> > This is probably normal and it probably happened with you before you
> > upgraded to 2.2r1.  This is a function of the AGP mapping and X isn't
> > actually using that much of your RAM.  Pieces of AGP space are also being
> > tallied up and this throws things out of whack.
> >
> no, i believe this is a genuine memory leak. i suspect that if it was agp
> mapping, it wouldn't start swapping other programs out, and my swap
> utilization has crept up to ~30%. and i have 192mb of swap.

Would it be possible for you to attach the output of things like free, ps
uax and memstat (definitely this) during one of these "leaks"?  So far,
everybody has just made subjective claims; I would like to see some numbers.

Thanks,
Charl

--
charl p. botha      | computer graphics and cad/cam
http://cpbotha.net/ | http://www.cg.its.tudelft.nl/