RE: Improving install partitioning

> Well, how about looking at it the other way: remove direct user
> interaction
> with cfdisk altogether, in the default method.
>
> Take a(nother) lesson from solaris:
>
> o Show how much free disk space there is on each disk
> o Have the person specify what partitions they want to be separate
> o Have the person specify what disk they want it on, if there are multiple
>   disks
>
> Then have the installer automagically slice and dice up free space.
> [and of course, remember to create vfstab appropriately ;-)]

i don't know how close my idea is to this idea, but i think it's somewhere
along the same route...

cfdisk *is* close to what we want, altho there are a few mods we should do
before we put it back into the install system. first off, i suppose we
should have the predefined partition setups. then, we should have an
advanced option, where the user can say "i want /etc to be mounted on that
harddisk, and i want it to be x mb". lastly, it should write the fstab
(vfstab? i haven't checked) file, so we can all run along merrily :) the
package setup part of the installation is sort of what i have in mind,
actually...

if it wasn't for a few things (time, experience with linux programming
(zero... :), and just general programming skillz), then i'd start
programming right now, and try to get it accepted that way. as it is, tho,
all i can do is to suggest an idea, and see if it tickles the fancy of
anyone *with* the skill, the time and the inclination to do this. because it
can definitely be improved upon.

-m

When you are having a bad day, and it seems like everybody is trying to piss
you off, remember that it takes 42 muscles to produce a frown, but only 4
muscles to work the trigger of a good sniper rifle.