Re: IMPORTANT: dpkg and libc5 compatability libraries

On Tue, Nov 21, 2000 at 11:11:25PM +1100, Drew Parsons wrote:
> Could you clarify the problem?  Does the bug only come up when you're
> compiling against libc5-dev, or when libc5 itself is merely installed?  If
> it's the former then there is a third temporary solution: recompile against
> libc6.

The problem was that having libc5(-dev) and xlib6 (the X libc5
compatability library installed would cause dpkg to think that any
normal X application compiled used the libc5 libraries, and write that
into the shlibs depends. Now it's almost a moot point since I hear
that today or tomorrow a new release of dpkg will fix this.