Re: netscape directory server, redhat bins, ...

On Tue, Nov 14, 2000 at 12:45:47PM -0800, Philip Brown <phil@bolthole.com> spake forth:
> > But, is it worth it?  Why not focus on writing a GUI/HTML frontend to
> > OpenLDAP instead?
>
> Because businesses want to deploy something NOW, not in 6 months.
> And they like buying software from established companies, with SUPPORT for
> that software. Where's the support structure for OpenLDAP?
>
> Besides, I'm a UNIX sysadmin consultant. My job is installing software, not
> writing custom software.

I've been in that position, and that's a bunk argument. Very few vendors are
willing to support their stuff on Linux, and of those, only a tiny fraction
will support it on anything that's not RedHat.  Those who are willing to
support it running on Debian have probably put some effort into making it
work on Debian, and in fact, will probably help you get it running.

The support issue is moot. Fact is, suits fear free software. It's an
unfortunate fact of life. Personally, I'm just happy that Debian can do
everything that I need without me having to install from non-free.

World domination would be nice, but our resources are spread pretty thin as
it is.

--
Mike Markley <mike@markley.org>
PGP: 0xA9592D4D 62 A7 11 E2 23 AD 4F 57  27 05 1A 76 56 92 D5 F6

The man on tops walks a lonely street; the "chain" of command is often a noose.