Re: netscape directory server, redhat bins, ...

[ Adam McKenna writes ]
> On Tue, Nov 14, 2000 at 11:49:05AM -0800, Philip Brown wrote:
> > [ Russell Coker writes ]
> > > On 2000-11-13 20:53, Philip Brown wrote:
> > I dont need em. But the people I install stuff for, DO.
> > They say "get THIS product running for us".
> > Debian doesnt run those things, therefore, Debian is not even CONSIDERED at
> > those sites.
>
> What do you mean, Debian "does not run" those things?

I mean "doesn't run".

I gave the URL in my previous email. Here it is again:

http://www.iplanet.com/downloads/download/detail_8_398.html

Why dont you see if you can get netscape directory server runs on your
debian box. I sure can't.

> I've "alien"'d many an RPM to work on Debian systems.  It would probably not
> be an incredible amount of work for someone to package this Netscape crap.

I dont care about packaging, I just want the thing to RUN.
The download is a tar.gz file, with a "setup" program. There is no rpm.

> But, is it worth it?  Why not focus on writing a GUI/HTML frontend to
> OpenLDAP instead?

Because businesses want to deploy something NOW, not in 6 months.
And they like buying software from established companies, with SUPPORT for
that software. Where's the support structure for OpenLDAP?

Besides, I'm a UNIX sysadmin consultant. My job is installing software, not
writing custom software.

[with the obvious exception of scripts, etc]