Re: On Bugs, take 2

On Thu, Nov 16, 2000 at 04:50:25PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
>     Release critical bugs:
>         * critical (makes unrelated stuff break; don't even install it!)
>         * grave (completely broken; don't even bothering trying to run it)
>         * violation (doesn't conform to policy, tsktsk)
>     Normal bugs:
>         * important (really needs to be fixed, where's that -qa team?)
>         * normal (oopsy. someone should fix this)
>         * minor (whatever)
>     Otherwise:
>         * wishlist (feature requests, random whines, etc)
>
> Which seems fairly decent. Would "serious" be a reasonable name instead
> of "violation" (I'd really rather keep in the same style as the other
> names...)

the problem with "serious" is that it just doesn't say *what* kind of bug
we're talking about here. "violation" is easier to understand when it comes
to knowing at-a-glance what kind of bug we're talking about.

if we implement "serious", a few bugs that should be filed as "important"
will be filed as "serious", which doesn't help.

--
-m

When you are having a bad day, and it seems like everybody is trying to piss
you off, remember that it takes 42 muscles to produce a frown, but only 4
muscles to work the trigger of a good sniper rifle.