On Bugs, take 2

On Mon, Oct 02, 2000 at 10:55:56AM -0700, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:
> my point is, I am not against console-apt being released in Debian.  However I
> want a bug severity high enough that the maintainer takes the bug seriously.

So here are what seem to be the givens.

	* We need some way of marking out which problems make packages
	  unsuitable for release (ie, we're better of not releasing the
	  package than releasing it with that problem).

	* We need some way to differentiate other problems to work out
	  which are more important to focus efforts on fixing those.

At the moment the "important" severity is often being used for the
latter although it's theoretically intended for the former, which makes
it somewhat useless.

So, how about splitting them? What would people think of a bug tag:

brownbag	-- A bug that makes you want to put a brown paper bag over
		   your head. Something that would be annoying to release
		   with, but not necessarily unacceptable. The package
		   maintainer has the final word on whether a bug is a
		   brownbag bug or not. Brownbag bugs will not affect
		   whether a package is eventually released or not.

?

Would this make clarifying "important" to be:

important	-- A severe violation of Debian policy (that is, a violation
		   of a "must" or "required" directive).

more acceptable to people? (I say "clarifying" because that's what I was
using to differentiate "important" and "normal" bugs during the potato
freeze) Again, please note that filing an "important" bug is *not*
something people should be doing naively: it's not a voting mechanism,
it's not for opinions, it's for saying that this package must *not*
be released in its current state, under almost any circumstances.

OTOH, filing a `brownbag' bug is much less likely to cause problems.

I imagine it'd probably be worthwhile to have a brownbag bug list,
like the RC bug list, for people who're bored and want something to fix.

Comments? Alternatives?

Cheers,
aj

                                      -- Dave Clark