Re: On Bugs, take 2

On Wed, Nov 15, 2000 at 05:22:22PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> I'm leery of leaving a severity around that's poorly defined, and
> largely meaningless. The scale from critical down to wishlist, except for
> "important" in the "popular" sense, is fairly clear:
> 	* makes unrelated stuff break, introduces security holes just by
> 	  existing (critical)
> 	* makes the package unusable (grave)
> 	* makes the package undistributable (important/violation)
> 	* makes the package buggy (normal)
> 	* gives a way in which the package could be improved (wishlist)

Actually, looking at /etc/debbugs/config on master, this isn't the case.
There's actually a "minor" severity in there too, that just happens to
not be documented. So we would *really* have:

    Release critical bugs:
        * critical (makes unrelated stuff break; don't even install it!)
        * grave (completely broken; don't even bothering trying to run it)
        * violation (doesn't conform to policy, tsktsk)
    Normal bugs:
        * important (really needs to be fixed, where's that -qa team?)
        * normal (oopsy. someone should fix this)
        * minor (whatever)
    Otherwise:
        * wishlist (feature requests, random whines, etc)

Which seems fairly decent. Would "serious" be a reasonable name instead
of "violation" (I'd really rather keep in the same style as the other
names...)

So, I guess, failing any better ideas or obvious problems or anything,
I guess we'll:

	* add a "serious" severity for severe policy violations

	* change the definition of "important" to indicate it won't be
	  used to remove packages from the release

	* add a definition for "minor" since there doesn't seem to be
	  one yet

Cheers,
aj

                                      -- Dave Clark