Need help with Conflicts, Replaces and Provides...

Hi,

Today I received a bugreport against libgd-dev, a package I maintain.
Since I still am a little newbie on this all I wanted to ask if someone
could confirm wether I am doing things right here..

Fabien Ninoles filed the bug and told me I had to put an extra line in the
control file which says 'Provides: libgd1g-dev'. This, he says, to ensure
smooth upgrades, so old packages depending on libgd1g-dev will work with
libgd-dev.

So then I'll have these rules in my control file for libgd-dev:

Conflict: libgd1g-dev
Replaces: libgd1g-dev
Provides: libgd1g-dev

The Conflicts rule with the Provides rule seems a bit weird to me.
A package Conflicting with something it Provides....
And then a fellow debian maintainer told me it is not allowed to do this.

I don't know what to do now...

1) Close the bug and assume maintainers of older packages depending on the
   libgd1g-dev package to recompile THEIR package to depend on libgd-dev?

2) Accept the changes and put in all 3 the rules?

Another question I have is when I have to put the 3 rules in libgd-dev,
do I also have to put a 'Provides: libgd1g' in the controlfile for libgd1?

All help appreciated ;]

Kind Regards,
Sander Smeenk.