Re: Craig Sanders

On Tue, 14 Nov 2000, Mark Mealman wrote:

> If you can't stand tempers and attitudes get out of Debian.

That is not a good attitude to have.  Perhaps people want to help make
Debian a more friendly place.

> Better yet, stay away from the computing world in general.

Not realistic.

> I'm sure as hell not going to start sensoring myself because something I say
> might push the "limits" of a receiver, whatever that means.

It means common decency.  It's not rocket science.

> No one cares.

_I_ care, but not about Mr. Sanders in particular.  Yes, it was
inappropriate to post a private mail to a public list.  You'll get no
argument from me there.  However, I think it is important for posters to
at least consider the desires of a civilized society with respect to
language and general coherency of communication.  When I read a message
filled with bad language, the meaning is lost on me.  Now I'm not saying I
mind a good explitive here and there, but when every other word is a
degrading slander, it just makes the author look like a fool.  I
immediately disregard said message and happily go about my daily business.

This is not a request for censoring.  This is a request for people to
_think_ before posting, for their own good, so the message gets across to
the intended recipients.  Bad language _is_ a turn-off -- why do you think
the Free Software movement is portrayed as an elitist club of spoiled
teenagers?

                                      -Dave

--

"Some little people have music in them, but Fats, he was all music,
 and you know how big he was."  --  James P. Johnson