Re: xlib6g vs dselect

On Tue, 14 Nov 2000, Petr Cech wrote:

> >  2) There was not 1280x1024 mode at all. I had to copy a couple
> >     of lines from the old XF86Config...
>
> just add "1280x1024" to the desired modes. You don't need to write all those
> modelines. The usual ones are already known.

 Hmm, I'm pretty sure that this did not work with -1. It was the
 first thing that I tried. Anyway, it's okay now with -3, so there
 is one problem less...

> >  4) DRI is supposed to work only with 16 or 32 bit color depth.
> >     Since 32 bit does not work at all, maybe 16 should be default?
>
> it's 24bit baby (see Branden's post about it).

 Okay, I'll see if I find this post.

> >  Ok, the most notably problem arised when I wanted to use dselect.
> >  Somehow, it wants to remove xlib6g together with all other X apps.
>
> of course. They _depend_ on this package. What else would you expect?

 Maybe I was not clear enough about it. Of course, if xlib6g is removed,
 all X apps will have to be removed as well. However, I don't understand
 why dselect tries to remove xlib6g.

> >  I cannot figure out what's wrong. There seems to be no Conflicts
> >  or such. apt-get check is quite happy, too.
> >
> >  Any hints on that?
>
> wait till every X application is recompiled against XF4, that is
> Depends: xlibs (>= 4.0.1-1)

 "Older" X apps depend on xlib6g (>= 3.3.5) which seems to me okay
 with xlib6g (>=4.0.1-1). Also, xlib6g (>= 4.0.1-1) depends on xlibs
 and libxaw6. Hence, I seem to have overlooked some (not so?) subtle
 dependency problem.

  Ulf