Re: ITP: OpenH323

tb@becket.net (Thomas Bushnell, BSG) writes:

> I would like to package the OpenH323 code.  This is the free
> implementation of the H.323 internet telephony protocol.  It includes
> codecs for some but not all of the audio and video formats in use.
> Other codecs are subject to patents, and are not in the OpenH323
> distribution.  It is able to interoperate with Micro$loth's
> NetMeeting, and with CUSeeMe, as well as anything else that uses the
> same protocols.

Further information: openh323 is composed of several components, which
I propose to group into the following three packages.  As I discover
more upon building and experimenting with the software, this may
change.

First piece: pwlib.  This is the "Portable Windows Library"; it's a
general purpose class library originally developed for Windows GUI
programming, but now (according to the authors) more generally of
interest.  This is distributed as a separate tarball by the OpenH323
Project and might be of independent interest, so it should be in
separate Debian packages as a library.  It's needed by all the other
parts of OpenH323.

Second piece: openh323.  This is the library which implements the
H.323 protocol suite itself.  This should be packaged as a Debian
library.  It's distributed in a separate tarball from the other pieces
by the OpenH323 Project.

Third piece: clients.  These are distributed in separate tarballs, but
they're small and I see no reason to split them up.  There are
currently three programs here: OhPhone, the command line phone client;
OpenAM, an answering machine program; and PSTNGw, a gateway to PSTN.

I would propose to name these:

pwlib
pwlib-dev
openh323
openh323-dev
openh323-clients

Note that pwlib and openh323 are libraries; I couldn't find any
requirement that library packages begin with "lib", despite that being
the usual convention.  These are the names used by the OpenH323
Project, and I'd prefer to keep their names.

Any comments or advice are welcome.

Thomas