Re: Berkeley DB3 in incoming, BIG FAT WARNING!

On Sat, 11 Nov 2000, Ben Collins wrote:

> A lot of things have been waiting for this. I am sending this as a HUGE
> warning. This was my scenario with moving openldap to db3, and I suspect
> it will apply for a lot of packages. Here is how the dep chain looked
> after I recompiled, for slapd:
>
> slapd --- libdb3
>         \ libsasl7 --- libdb2
>
> Note that libsasl7 was linked against libdb2, while slapd was linked
> directly with libdb3. This was very very bad and caused slapd to give a
> bus error. The only way I know around this is if you use dlopen to load
> the libraries, but I doubt that is an option. So I had to relink libsasl7
> against db3.

damn...  so we're realy not any better off with this migration than
we were for the glibc induced libdb problem a few months ago ;-{

I was hoping we'd wind up with versioned symbols, or something that
allowed coexistance of the varied versions.

So, are you uploading both libsasl and libldap?  I'll need both for
sendmail (which has recommended libdb3 for quite a while).

Lastly, what about lib-nss ?  it can/will cause the same problem for
those using databases for hosts, users, etc.

--
Rick Nelson
C is quirky, flawed, and an enormous success