Re: is X4 supposed to be slower?

On Fri, Nov 10, 2000 at 06:42:57PM +1100, Craig Sanders wrote:
> reconfigure xdm (or wdm or gdm or whatever) to start another X server on
> a different virtual console. for xdm, see /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers.
> alternatively, run "startx -- :1 vt12" from a console login shell.
> you can have as many X servers as you like, each on different VCs. just
> start up each server with the appropriate arguments. switch between them
> with Ctrl-Alt-Fn.

I've been aware of this functionality and used it, but recently (for
about three or four months), it appears to have triggered a race
condition and otherwise made me very unhappy. Have you seen this at
all? I ran into it with the SVGA and I128 X servers. It's very easy
to reproduce; all I need to do is switch between vt's several times
in succession, and X will spin wildly and consume all available CPU.
Several bug reports of this form have been submitted already.

On Fri, Nov 10, 2000 at 06:42:57PM +1100, Craig Sanders wrote:
> one use for this is if you like to run in 16bpp normally, but have one
> or two applications (e.g. games) which only run in 8bpp. just start up
> an 8bpp X server on another VC.

I used this to keep a couple of other consoles around from which a
friend of mine, my girlfriend, and his girlfriend could log in. I was
very peeved the day this broke.

Cheers,
Bill
--
<craving> Weak coffee is only fit for lemmas.