Re: is X4 supposed to be slower?

On Fri, Nov 10, 2000 at 01:59:43PM +1100, Craig Sanders wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 09, 2000 at 05:21:31PM -0800, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> > I'm very impressed with the X4 packages all around; a few small
> > problems is expected, but this is just so well done.  Thanks!
>
> yeah, i'm glad it's around too.  just upgraded today.
>
> X4 seems a *lot* slower than the old X - e.g. moving windows around on
> the screen in X3 was both fast and smooth. in X4, with the same window
> manager (wmaker) and same configuration, moving a window is extremely
> slow and jerky. this is true for any kind of window - xterm, netscape,
> mozilla, etc.

further information:

i still have an X 3.3.6-11 server running on vt12 as well as an X
4.0.1-2 server running on vt7.

X4 is unarguably much slower than X3.

[ 5 mins later ]

aha! examining /var/log/xdm.log shows that the new X started up in depth
24 (32 bpp) because the -bpp option is now called -depth. changing it to
-depth 16 gets it back to a decent speed.

Next, i should probably copy my modelines from my old XF86Config to the
new XF86Config-4.

craig

--
craig sanders