Re: [OT] Upgrade madness (Was: Re: Do developers tend to run unstable?)

On Thu, Nov 09, 2000 at 12:23:55AM -0500, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> 	apt-get -s upgrade | grep -v Conf

I do apt-get --simulate dist-upgrade as well.

On Thu, Nov 09, 2000 at 12:23:55AM -0500, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> the upgrade of those important packages if needed. Even when nothing
> important is being upgraded, I usually find that I don't want to run
> apt-get upgrade directly, because I *don't* want to upgrade some packages.

I have that feeling about telnet-ssl and x3.

On Thu, Nov 09, 2000 at 12:23:55AM -0500, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> And I'm glad I was this cautious, too, because recently, there was some
> versioning breakage with kernel-image-2.2.17, and I happen to be using a
> custom-built kernel. If I had blindly run apt-get upgrade (or worse,
> dist-upgrade), it could have hosed my kernel installation (*shudder*).

--download-only only fills up apt's cache with them so they're already
resident on disk when and if I do feel like upgrading. Also, I do not
believe the kernels are automatically upgraded by dist-upgrade.

Cheers,
Bill
--
<nrut> how does one decide if something is undecidable?
<Galois> carefully