php4-cgi + apache

Noticed something strange today .. I was trying to get some php cgi-mode
scripts working on one of our servers today and was having problems getting
them to run under apache .. I tried this on a few different machines (all
same software configuration:  woody, php 4.0.3pl1-2 and apache 1.3.12-2.1)
and had the same results on each ..

PHP scripts using the apache php module run fine ..
PHP scripts run in cgi-mode at the command prompt run fine ..
PHP scripts run in cgi-mode under apache generate generic 'premature end of
script headers' in the apache logs ..

( I wrote a quick perl wrapper to call the php script and display the
execution result .. from the command line it would get '0' which is normal
.. from apache it was generating a result of '11' .. I don't know if this is
meaningful or not .. probably not )

I tried php-cgi with all extension loaded .. and with none loaded .. same
results ..
(perl/shell/etc.. scripts run as cgi's all run fine .. just php ones seem to
be causing me problems)..

Any ideas .. ??

Thanks,
  Terry