Re: new features in dpkg 1.7.1

[Arthur, your Mail-Followup-To headers are broken]

On Tue, Nov 07, 2000 at 04:31:38PM +0100, Arthur Korn wrote:
> Wichert Akkerman schrieb:
> > It seems Daniel modified his buildd to build powerpc packages for woody
> > now.  Basically what we need is one powerful machine for each
> > architecture that can use chroots for the different distributions. At
> > this moment we don't have that yet for all architectures.
>
> From Petr Cech's post it seems that what we need are an ARM and
> a PPC build machine. I'd be willing to open an account here
> (it seems swizerland is the right place for this ... ;), and
> donate 200.- CHF (about 131.47 EUR or 113.25 USD (thanks
> http://www.oanda.com/convert/classic)) for a PPC.
>
> It think a Power Mac G4 would get us more bang for the buck than
> a RS/6000. A Dual 450MHz PPC with 1MB cache each, 256MB RAM,
> 36GB U160 SCSI and some stuff we don't really need costs 3'549
> USD in the US http://store.apple.com (phew, need one myself,
> looks sweet ;).
>
> Is there somebody who would administer and house this baby?
> Who would donate money? (no point in doing all this if we end up
> with 3000$ ...)
>
> The next freeze won't last a year, not because of packages not
> building on PPC!

If you look at the archives for debian-project for the past two weeks
or so, you'll see that we in fact just decided to buy a PPC using
project funds.  Interestingly enough, your choice in machine is very
close to mine - the machine we're looking at runs rather cheaper, but
has 90GB of IDE drives, 320MB RAM, and dual 500MHz CPUs.  All this for
just under $3000 - still a lot of money, but a worthwhile investment if
it will still be useful in several years, which I anticipate it will.

We're just sorting out the administrative and monetary details, and it
should be up in a week or two for developer access.

Dan