Re: squid's async-io

On Tue, Nov 07, 2000 at 03:18:45AM -0700, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:
> >Not quite. 'dns_defnames off' option is not working.  Same for
> >dns_children.
> >
> >pluto: ~# /etc/init.d/squid start
> >Starting proxy server: 2000/11/06 21:19:27| parseConfigFile: line 643
> >unrecognized: 'dns_defnames on'
>
> Yes, those options don't exist anymore. I'll make sure that the
> postinst comments those options out.

You already have it in postinst.  Problem is that I used the new
squid.conf that still shows these as valid options.

Just to make sure, I grabbed squid-2.3.STABLE4 and yes the following is
still part of squid.conf:

#  TAG: dns_defnames    on|off
#       Normally the 'dnsserver' disables the RES_DEFNAMES resolver
#       option (see res_init(3)).  This prevents caches in a hierarchy
#       from interpreting single-component hostnames locally.  To allow
#       dnsserver to handle single-component names, enable this
#       option.
#
#dns_defnames off

So.... If this functionality has been removed what has replaced it to
allow single component names?  Ahhh... From the FAQ:

===========
11.40 Is dns_defnames broken in 2.3.STABLE1 and STABLE2?

Sort of. As of Squid 2.3, the default is to use internal DNS lookup
code. The dns_defnames option is only used with the external dnsserver
processes. If you relied on dns_defnames before, you have three
choices:

   1.See if the append_domain option will work for you instead.
   2.Configure squid with --disable-internal-dns to use the external
     dnsservers.
   3.Enhance src/dns_internal.c to understand the search and domain
     lines from /etc/resolv.conf.

append_domain worked fine for me.

It would probably be wise to change our default squid.conf to make it
clear that --disable-internal-dns was not used and the dns_ options
will have no effect.

--
Jeff Lightfoot   --    jeffml at pobox.com   --   http://thefoots.com/
    "How can I sing like a girl and not be stigmatized by the rest of