Re: Driver detection and loading

On Sun, Nov 05, 2000 at 01:30:21PM +0000, Haug Bürger wrote:
> a very special one, 905 chip, because there is no driver
> named for this card. Sorry but my imagination is not so great
> to guess that i should use a 509 driver.

That probably won't work. You need the driver for "Vortex/Boomerang". I
think it is called 3c590/3c900 series.

I have no idea if this driver is part of the installation kernel. Sorry. But
it definitely is part of the linux kernel source.

> Suggestions: Much better would be a database with a PCI IDs and
> a driver and parameter set. That would make it possible to auto
> detect the hardware.

There are hardware autodetection packages out there. At least Corel, Stromix
and Progeny (chronological order :-)) have one. And they should be open
source too.

> To improve the situation i'm willing to help but i need some
> information about the Debian development process.

I wonder if these packages will go back into Debian proper or need an
additional Debian maintainer. Maybe the guys from Progeny and Stormix can
comment on this. Anyone here from Corel?

Michael
--
Michael Meskes
Michael@Fam-Meskes.De