Re: What is a Kernel?

>>"Thomas" == Thomas Bushnell, BSG <tb@becket.net> writes:

 Thomas> Yeah, and the "hold" solution is retarded.

__> egrep 'debian := ' /etc/kernel-pkg.conf
# debian := 1.0
debian := 5:c501

 Thomas> Manoj, is there some reason why this doesn't work?  I think
 Thomas> it would deal with the problem that happened recently when
 Thomas> the kernel-image maintainer decided he wanted an epoch, for
 Thomas> example.

	The kernel image maintainer uses make-kpkg to create the
 kernel images, you know. I think that renaming official debian kernel
 images is not a good idea (aesthetically, they are the same package,
 satisfy the same dependencies, etc). I may ship kernel-package with a
 commented-out-default of
# debian := 5:unofficial676

	or something, so more people would be inclined to use that
 version instead.

 Tactical?  TACTICAL!?!?  Hey, buddy, we went from kilotons to
 megatons several minutes ago.  We don't need no stinkin' tactical
 nukes. (By the way, do you have change for 10 million people?)