Re: X 4.0.1 what's the deal?

On Sat, Nov 04, 2000 at 11:28:57AM +0000, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:
> AFAIK, the xserver-*_3.3.6 package are obsolete. xserver-xfree86_4.0.1-1

Not exactly. The way I understand it the 3.3.6 servers are only built for
those hardware that 4.0.1 does not support yet. So if you have such a card
you'd better use the old server.

I do think though that there are some missing depends/recommends/suggests as
I did an upgrade without checking the pacakges and was left without a useful
X server. 3.3.6 does not have a driver for my card anymore and 4.0.1 was not
installed albeit mentioned as the one server to start in the config file.

Michael
--
Michael Meskes
Michael@Fam-Meskes.De