Re: new section in Debian menu system for file managers

On Fri, Nov 03, 2000 at 07:28:35PM +0100, Josip Rodin wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 03, 2000 at 07:23:12PM +0100, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> > > Ok, lets take "Disk", so we need only four bytes ;)
> > > Nobody against subsection? Then I will suggest to take it into the
> > > Preferred menu structure (Cc' to Joost Witteveen).
> > >
> > > Apps/Disk:    - tools to browse the file system (e.g. filemanagers)
> >
> > That's silly. A disk is not a filesystem, and not all filesystems are stored
> > on disks (or even stored at all). For example, on what disk is your
> > /proc/cpu on?
>
> Oh come on, /proc is a pseudo-filesystem.

On the Hurd, there is no difference between pseudo and real. All filesystems
are implemented in user space by different servers. The backing storage is
of secondary interest if at all.

But there are other reasons to reject the name. If I'd ask you what programs
you'd expect in a menu called "Apps/Disk", would you think of filesystem
browsers first? I'd not. I'd expect partitioning programs, hdparm, free disk
space meters, list of mounted partitions viewers etc...

Thanks,
Marcus

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de