squid's async-io (was Re: Ancient squid and unattentive maintainer)

Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:

[snip info on newer squid]

Seeing that squid was brought up here and Mike has failed to respond to
my emails .... I'll go ahead and make an ass of myself on the list. :-)

During the libc problems (beginning of Oct) in woody I wrote the
following to Mike:

==== email ====
I'm currently running Woody and not sure if it is related to it or not.

Access to my squid cache was maxing out at 200K/second when my network
can handle 10M/second.

After downloading the source and removing --enable-async-io from
configure, I now get 10M/second from squid.

I checked the Squid FAQ and it mentions that --enable-async-io doesn't
work to well with Linux so I'm wondering why we use it.  Maybe this is
related to the libc problems in unstable?
==== end of email ====

Seeing that I've dist-upgraded at least twice, could I have something
left over that is causing these problems?  Has anyone else seen this
same behavior?

I didn't file a bug against squid because I hate to look stupid if it
is user error.  If it is indeed a real bug, I'll be glad to file it.
:-)

--
Jeff Lightfoot   --    jeffml at pobox.com   --   http://thefoots.com/
    "Look what I found in my beer. A free test drive for a heart I