Re: xawtv, bad dependency?

On Mon, 23 Oct 2000 02:12:07 Gerd Knorr wrote:
> In lists.debian.devel, you wrote:
> > I compile my X from cvs, and I was wondering if xawtv's dependency on
> > xbase-clients is a mistake?
>
> No.  It comes with a own font, and to install the font it needs mkfontdir
> which in turn is in the xbase-clients package.
>
>   Gerd

So what, gaim doesn't require an install of X even though it's gtk widgets
depend on xlib hooks to work, which in turn requires a working X server to
be displayed. Why is mkfontdir not by itself? I have to go recompile all of
X now again and re-install it because of one stupid file that i already
had. If this kind of thing is going to be happening more and more, i want
to know if there is a way to do a ".local" sort of thing like the debian
menu has, to prevent the download and update of a certain program provided
by a package, but at the same time allow it to be seen as always up to date
and let packages dependent on it be downloaded.  I have nothing against
using packages, but i dont see why mkfontdir warrants the install of 30
some other files, especially files dealing with something like X.  I use
Debian packages for things like libraries and programs that dont depend on
performance, or things that I don't want to personalize.  Perhaps it would
be nice to set a file that apt-get can read in order to always assume a
certain package is up to date and installed.  This can be a
very-non-default thing so that beginners dont screw up their system.  Oh
well, i'll apt-get remove xawtv then remove xbase-clients then reinstall X
and reinstall xawtv from source. that should fix problems in the future
with this package at least.