Re: Maybe ITP: linuxtips - "Tip of the day"-Message-Viewer.

from the secret journal of Marcus Brinkmann (Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de):
> On Mon, Oct 23, 2000 at 02:24:36AM +0200, Daniel Migowski wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I think, that it would be fine for new linux-users to have some "TIP of the
> > day"-Message shown each time the users logs into his system, or opens a shell.
> > I just write a little program, that displays those tips randomly, like
> > 'bible', with a replaced dictionary.
>
> Can you make this "debiantips" or "tips" or something? Or do you only want to
> include linux specific tips in this system (eg, think hurd)?

i'll just throw in my $0.02...

i love the idea of a "debiantips" package. that name lets us easily include
little quips about what makes a debian system work differently than other
distros, perhaps even debian versus win2k situations.

the maintainer should probably create entries for "usefull dpkg options" and
"update-alternatvies --config", rather than "free vs. open". those debates
belong in fortune.

--
Jacob Kuntz
underworld.net/~jake