debsuggests.pl -- determine missing Suggested/Recommended packages

   I was wondering what Suggested/Recommended packages I was missing by
   not having dselect point them out to me.  I use apt-get exclusively.

   So, a quick hack later and here are the results.  The following
   (poorly written) perl script Tries to figure out which other packages
   you might want to install on your system.

   Usage: ./debsuggests.pl |less
   If you want to see it working, try './debsuggests.pl -v |less'.

   It takes under 4 seconds to run on my P90 (250 packages), and less than
   2 on on my Dual Celeron 500 (550 packages).  The only real slow part
   is the version comparing, which is done by ``dpkg --compare-versions''.
   (The perl code was getting too ugly.)

   In the unlikely event that someone else might find this useful,
   I'm posting it here.  My only claim is that ``It Works For Me(tm)''.

   Damian

--
Damian Gryski ==> dgryski@uwaterloo.ca | Linux, the choice of a GNU generation
512 pt Hacker Test score = 37%         | 500 pt Nerd Test score = 56%