Re: Books to teach myself 'programming infrastructure'

In Mon, 23 Oct 2000 00:42:43 +0200 Christian Pernegger <pernegger@chello.at> cum veritate scripsit :

> How to set up a CVS repository for a new project?

apt-get install cvs-doc
info cvs

> How to set up the project's non-source files? (Makefile, etc)

automake/autoconf can almost create them automatically.
(apt-get install autoproject seems promising although I've never tried it.)

But, usually making a makefile is as easy as :

all: thisproject

thisproject: sourcecode1.o sourcecode2.o

... and providing sourcecode1.c etc. Then type make.

> How to use automake/autoconf?

apt-get install automake autoconf
info automake
info autoconf

There's enough information there.

> How to make everything quite portable?

I don't have an idea.
Trying to develop on more than one platform from the beginning helps being
portable, but that degrades the rate of development a bit.

> In short, I can hack in C but don't know the first thing about how to
> organize something with more than a few source files...

I did have a very hard time to gather all the information required for this
because the information seems quite scattered...

Another question will be :

how to make everything language-portable (i18n?).

It's a question I am currently still searching for the answer...

regards,
	junichi

--
University: ti0113@mail4.doshisha.ac.jp    Netfort: dancer@netfort.gr.jp