Re: Books to teach myself 'programming infrastructure'

    Christian> What I'd like to have is a book that does not cover
    Christian> actual programming, but the meta-things about
    Christian> programming under Linux/Unix.

    Christian> Some of my questions include:

    Christian> How to set up a CVS repository for a new project?  How
    Christian> to set up the project's non-source files? (Makefile,
    Christian> etc) How to use automake/autoconf?  How to make
    Christian> everything quite portable?

You may find this some use:

http://www.amath.washington.edu/~lf/tutorials/autoconf/automake/automake_toc.html

not sure if it covers CVS (I don't think it does), but from memory it
covers both automake and autoconf.

Then again, I think(?) the best way to learn autoconf (after you
understand the basics, such as how m4 is used, etc) is to look at some
well-written configure.in's from existing projects, and get a
"general"[1] idea of how they work.

Note:
[1] configure.in scripts can be incredibly complicated, especially the
fine details, however, the details aren't really important for
this learning purpose.
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>