Re: Diff between Helix/Debian GNOME (was Re: Helix debian package s)

Hi,

At Fri, 20 Oct 2000 13:05:16 -0400,
Peter Teichman <peter@helixcode.com> wrote:

> > I used Helix GNOME and I have no idea what does it mean "enhancing" and
> > "improving" in case of Helix debian packages.
> > Event after an analyzying changelogs.
> > Sure, two pictures are nicer and more icons.
>
> In most cases, we don't change packages at all. We just provide a
> well-defined set of GNOME and GTK+ apps as a desktop environment. The
> few things we do change are default settings that the upstream
> maintainers want to keep the way they are currently.

I have just heard that Helix version of gedit can treat multibyte
languages while Debian version cannot.  Though I have not tested
Helix one, I eager that Helix improvement is united to the upstream
(or Debian packages, if packaging is responsible), since a text
editor without multibyte support is almost useless for CJK people
including me.

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <kubota@debian.org>
http://surfchem0.riken.go.jp/~kubota/