Re: Helix debian packages

On Fri, Oct 20, 2000 at 07:34:15AM -0200, Eduardo Marcel Macan wrote:
> 	The problem with the Helix packages is that they do not have
> the same quality when it comes to dependencies and such. I've been using
> Helix for some time and many times I've seen nasty things being done
> to dependencies. -dev packages that installed without the library
> packages, packages with conflicting files... Sometimes I thought I
> should uninstall everything and reinstall debian's but I didn t have
> the time and I feel from what I've seen done to dependencies that
> this would require quite some time.

True, and I'm sure Peter would greatly appreciate some bugs filed about
these problems.  Sometime when I have more, I will have to help track a
few of them down.  The easy answer is task-helix-gnome, but that's also
one hell of a copout if you don't want to go 100% Gnome.

> > I can say that bugs fixed months ago in Helix are still there in Debian.
> > Some of them are almost trivial problems fixed in minor upstream releases.
> > I would REALLY like to see more cooperation with Helix and Debian..  In
> > fact, I'd like Helix to be IN Debian...
>
> 	If only their packaging had the same quality as ours...
>
> 	But indeed, if all our users start moving to helix something
> will have to be done about it.

I expect this is very likely - and yes, something must indeed be done
about it.

<xtifr> you don't have to be insane to work here....oh wait, yes you do!
        :)