Re: would be a wishlist bug against alien, but ...

On Wed, Oct 18, 2000 at 09:40:03PM -0700, Joey Hess wrote:
> Chris Fearnley wrote:
> > Corel has improved alien's error handling in the rpm -> deb conversion
> > process.  These patches should be looked at by Debian to determine if they
> > are useful as they look.  I think they look very useful.  Their virtue
> > are given by this comment from the Corel code:
> > # Get a list of file locations and check if they conflict with files already
> > # installed on a Corel LINUX system.
> > # The purpose of this function is to help prevent unknowing users from damaging
> > # their system by installing over files that are already installed.
>
> I've looked at these patches extensively in the past. IMHO, they are
> worthless for general use. For example, dpkg implements file conflict
> checking and so on itself at deb install time, whereas the file conflict
> checking in corel's alien is done at package conversion time. But the
> converted package may not be installed on the machine it is built on!

In that case you need some intelligence to decide if there should be
a conflicts, or depends on that package(could probably look at
the output of apt-cache showpkg <package>, to get an idea
of if other packages depend on the package, possibly for files like
those, or if it just happens to have the same files).