Re: Chroot woody setup in 15 minutes

Ben Gertzfield wrote:

"Joey" == Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> writes:

    Daniel> I absent-mindedly compiled lbreakout against the X4
    Daniel> libraries.  Doh!  The obvious solution is to install a
    Daniel> clean build system (which I probably ought to do
    Daniel> anyway..), but I have a number of course deadlines and
    Daniel> midterms this week and can't get to it immediately :(

    Joey> Someone else has probably already volenteered (hard to tell
    Joey> when you're reading mail offline), but I thought I'd
    Joey> volenteer and also point out that it takes about 15 minutes
    Joey> to set up a base chroot system you can cleanly build
    Joey> anything in.

Joey is right. Doing a chroot woody setup really does only take
about 15 minutes. Here's some rough notes on what I had to do
to set one up on my potato box; I did GIMP builds there with no
problems.

1) download base2_2.tgz
2) as root, untar in safe place (homedir, /usr/local/woody, whatever)
3) as root, chroot /usr/local/woody /bin/sh
4) mount proc -t proc /proc
5) put name servers in /etc/resolv.conf
6) put the REAL machine name in /etc/hostname. run hostname -F /etc/hostname. Copy /etc/hosts from real machine.
7) edit /etc/apt/sources.list, change stable to unstable, comment-out security.debian.org

Skip dselect, just use ``apt-get install build-essential dpkg-dev''
The reason it messes up without explicitly saying dpkg-dev is the whacked out stuff we had to do
to perl between 5.004 and 5.005

Doing it this way manages to skip all of standard, and just get that which is truly essential

After you are done installing build-essential, exit and tar this tree up for multiple uses

Frank aka Myth