Re: Debian Distribution getting too big?

On 2000-10-14 01:22, Drake Diedrich wrote:
>On Fri, Oct 13, 2000 at 04:41:05PM -0600, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
>> We proxies have serious problems when used with .debs, usually it
>> requires substantial configuration to get good results. There are many
>> reasons not to use them.
>
>   An overly zealous proxy that doesn't check for changes upstream causes
>all sorts of problems beyond Debian packages.  .debs are proxiable forever.
>Packages.gz needs a short timeout - configured at the server end, not in the
>proxy hierarchy.  I've been using http proxies for debs since
>... 97? 96?  Something like that.  What sorts of reasons?

It depends what your aims are.  I am often in a situation of upgrading
several machines that are sharing a slow link, so I have the following rule
in my Squid config:
refresh_pattern       Packages.gz         480      20%      1440
override-lastmod override-expire ignore-reload

This means that when I update 4 machines on a LAN that is attached to the net
by modem over the course of a day they don't all download those big Packages
files.

One thing that would be conveniant for people who track unstable via modem
would be support in apt for rsync of the Packages file.