Re: Debian Distribution getting too big?

On Fri, Oct 13, 2000 at 04:41:05PM -0600, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> We proxies have serious problems when used with .debs, usually it
> requires substantial configuration to get good results. There are many
> reasons not to use them.

   An overly zealous proxy that doesn't check for changes upstream causes
all sorts of problems beyond Debian packages.  .debs are proxiable forever.
Packages.gz needs a short timeout - configured at the server end, not in the
proxy hierarchy.  I've been using http proxies for debs since
.. 97? 96?  Something like that.  What sorts of reasons?