Re: Misclassification of packages; "libs" and "doc" sections

James Antill <james@and.org> writes:

> Roland Bauerschmidt <rb@debian.org> writes:
> > * Jason Henry Parker <jasonp@uq.net.au> [001011 09:54]:
> > > I find it much easier to ftp to the binary-i386 directory of my
> > > mirror, and perform searches like
> > > ftp> ls */*catan*
>  This == "apt-cache --name-only search catan"

And if apt isn't available?  If I'm searching for a version of some
package not in the distribution I have mentioned in my sources.list?
If I'm away from my debian boxes and want to get the orig.tar.gz of
some package?

These are all situations where suggesting apt-cache is useless, and
searching by category should be useful.  But it's not useful.

> > Why don't you use apt-get for this? Sections _are_ useful for those that
> > do not know what the name of the package is, etc.

As I said, I find they just get in the way if I try to use them, and
it's much easier to ls with a wildcard if apt isn't available.

I don't know of any way to search by section with apt-cache; which
version are you running?

jason
--
``Just once I'd like a parrot to say that to me.''
                                -- Marge Simpson