Re: What is a Kernel?

On Wed, 11 Oct 2000, Adam McKenna wrote:

> > > Yes, and IMO this is retarded behavior.  There must be a way to prevent this
> > > from happening.
> >
> > I guess you write a small shell script to both install and put on hold
> > the kernel .deb.
>
> Gee, thanks Steve.  I would have never thought of that.

No trouble.

> Now, how about coming up with a solution that actually works for all of
> Debian's users, including the ones who don't know how to script, or don't
> even know that the problem exists in the first place?

Have such a script incorporated into kernel-package.  Maybe the "postinst"
bit of the .deb it produces can do something like this.

Or maybe kernel-package could produce a .deb with a different name
altogether.  Is there any particular reason why the x.y.z kernel must be
named kernel-image-x.y.z ?

-S