Re: What is a Kernel?

from the secret journal of Moshe Zadka (moshez@math.huji.ac.il):
> So what is kernel-source there for? There isn't a package called
> fileutils-source, for example?
>
> I understand the current situation in Debian just fine, I just don't
> /like/ it: the kernel is a strange special case. Special cases
> are bad by definition.

there is a MASSIVE difference. there is nothing to be gained by compiling
your own fileutils. there may be a few minor configure options, but
generally speaking, my fileutils will work on your computer, garenteed.

you can't possibly expect my kernel to work for you. it is not possible to
make one kernel that will work for everyone. the resulting driver bloat
would make a kernel to large to be bootable on many systems. and, we would
be limited by the lowest common denominator system per architecture. would
you want to run a kernel for 386 with <16 megs of ram on your quad xeon with
2 gigs of ram and all scsi devices? of course not!

taking away the ability to compile one's own kernel will take away the
benefit of running a linux workalike. if you want an unusable, bloated
system, i'll sell you my archive copy of windows 3.0.

this conversation needs to end.

--
Jacob Kuntz
underworld.net/~jake