Re: What is a Kernel?

On Wed, 11 Oct 2000, Jacob Kuntz wrote:

> there is a MASSIVE difference. there is nothing to be gained by compiling
> your own fileutils. there may be a few minor configure options, but
> generally speaking, my fileutils will work on your computer, garenteed.

I'm not getting through here, apparently. I realize that people need
to compile their own kernel. My problem is that the packaging system
is organized such that you have to cheat it to use a self-compiled kernel.
You're telling it no kernel is installed, while you sneak off and install
your kernel without it knowing about it. Then you lose: the kernel
is outside the packaging system, and the kernel is a very important
software package.

> taking away the ability to compile one's own kernel will take away the
> benefit of running a linux workalike. if you want an unusable, bloated
> system, i'll sell you my archive copy of windows 3.0.

I come to help people who are compiling their own kernel, not to hinder
them.

--
Moshe Zadka <moshez@math.huji.ac.il>
There is no IGLU cabal.