Re: What is a Kernel?

from the secret journal of Moshe Zadka (moshez@math.huji.ac.il):
> Yes, but for some strange reason, there is also a package called
> kernel-source.
> I mentioned we have it so no one will shout "but people won't be able
> to compile their own kernel".

kernel-source contains the source code for a given kernel version.

kernel-package contains tools for creating custom debian packages for
installing a specific kernel configuration on many machines.

for instance, if you have a cluster of webservers running debian, and they
all need SMP, tulip, and ip aliasing, but not raid or nfs or ide support,
you could install kernel-source, configure that kernel, then build a debian
package with that kernel image using kernel-package.

hope this helps.

--
Jacob Kuntz
underworld.net/~jake