Re: Misclassification of packages; "libs" and "doc" sections

Daniel Burrows wrote:

>   I agree.  I've found any number of really important utilities by accident,
> or by hearing someone mention them offhand.

Think what a new user would experience with 5000 packages and running
dselect, console-apt or aptitude...

>   One thing that I think is that we should have a clearly defined "default"
> categorization system, which is a reasonable way to find a program with

First, a single inheritance is-a hierarchy is not sufficient.
I suppose the is-a hieararchy itself should have multiple inheritance.
Which simply means that a tree doesn't work. OTOH, a tree hierarchy
may also be useful, think TUCOWS from the viewpoint of a user
downloading new software. Certain interfaces can represent tree views
to the is-a graph.

A part-of hierarchy is also useful. In this sense, the system may
be partitioned into subsystems. Base may be one of these subsystems,
X windows another. If a suitable part-of hierarchy can be attained
this can be used to distribute release management as well (in that
subsystem decomposition is modular)

In short, I propose to take advantage of experience in OOA/OOD for
studying software classification. Another place to look at is AI
research on ontology and in general KR and KBs.

Feel free to extend on these ideas, I will provide more suggestions
as discussion continues.

Thanks,

--
Eray (exa) Ozkural