Re: Misclassification of packages; "libs" and "doc" sections

On Wed, Oct 11, 2000 at 02:36:03AM +0300, Eray Ozkural <erayo@cs.bilkent.edu.tr> was heard to say:
> Daniel Burrows wrote:
> >
> >   I agree.  I've found any number of really important utilities by accident,
> > or by hearing someone mention them offhand.
> >

> Think what a new user would experience with 5000 packages and running
> dselect, console-apt or aptitude...

  Could you elaborate on this?  I know the current situation is confusing,
are you trying to say something more?  (or are you just agreeing with me?)

> >   One thing that I think is that we should have a clearly defined "default"
> > categorization system, which is a reasonable way to find a program with
>
> First, a single inheritance is-a hierarchy is not sufficient.

  True.  Emacs is an editor, a mail client, a news client,
a web browser, a Lisp interpreter..argh..

> I suppose the is-a hieararchy itself should have multiple inheritance.
> Which simply means that a tree doesn't work. OTOH, a tree hierarchy
> may also be useful, think TUCOWS from the viewpoint of a user
> downloading new software. Certain interfaces can represent tree views
> to the is-a graph.

  Sorry, you've lost me.  Could you define TUCOWS, please?  (it doesn't
have anything to do with bovines, does it?)

  Also, are you disagreeing with me, or just restating what I said more
succinctly?  It looks like the latter..

> A part-of hierarchy is also useful. In this sense, the system may
> be partitioned into subsystems. Base may be one of these subsystems,
> X windows another. If a suitable part-of hierarchy can be attained
> this can be used to distribute release management as well (in that
> subsystem decomposition is modular)

  I'm not sure I see why this would be useful except for the sake of
finding out what subsystem Debian thinks a particular package goes in.
This is usually the last thing I care about when looking for software.

> In short, I propose to take advantage of experience in OOA/OOD for
> studying software classification. Another place to look at is AI
> research on ontology and in general KR and KBs.

  Hm, could you provide references for the research?  I think some
cognitive science stuff could be useful as well; I should probably spend
some time next weekend reading up on it.

  Daniel

--
/----------------- Daniel Burrows <Daniel_Burrows@brown.edu> -----------------\
|           "You see, I've already stolen the spork of wisdom                 |