Re: [BALLOT] Social Contract Change Amendment

Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@debian.org> writes:

> On Tue, Oct 10, 2000 at 11:44:41AM +0200, David N. Welton wrote:
> > So how do I vote to leave everything alone and not fool with it?

> We went through a lot of effort passing the constitution and we
> clearly have an ambiguity - complete with a GR to resolve it.  Our
> secretary has chosen to ignore the proposal to fix the problem and
> instead fabricate his own unconstitutional requirements for John's
> proposal.  In addition, he has essentially stacked the ballot
> against John's proposal.  This is an alarming precedent which I
> simply cannot ignore.

> FWIW, Darren said last night he opted not to vote on Manoj's
> proposal to fix the constitution's language because the non-free
> thing has been delayed long enough and he wanted to get that one
> over with.  So we'll just short-circuit the process unless enough
> people have a problem with it.

Sorry to use this as an example, Joseph, but...

All this procedural stuff strikes me as being so much hot air.

Can't we just work on making Debian better?  If we really need to vote
on something, to make people feel better, how about "do we want to
remove non-free from Debian?".  That's a nice, simple question, with
logical consequences, instead of all this political crap.

If anything, your arguments just show that these kludgy processes fall
apart very easily, and cause endless debates that have nothing to do
with producing a good, free Linux distribution.

I set the reply-to, to move this debate *out* of our development list.

Harumph, bah humbug,
--
David N. Welton