Re: ITP: inetdconf

I am a user of xinetd and have, in the past, suffered from
packages that think "inetd" is always "inetd" and nothing
else.

> which configure /etc/inetd.conf so as to select each
> service ON/OFF.

If your package actually either modifies or reads the file
/etc/inetd.conf directly, you do not support xinetd.

If that is the case, you should probably configure a
conflict between your package and xinetd (any version).

Even though that's not precise.  It is possible (and, in
some strange circumstances, it might eben be usefull) to run
both inetd and xinetd on one and the same box.

But I'd say: Ignore that, for the time being.  In reality,
there are not that many people who actually run inetd and
xinetd at the same time.  Simply restrict yourself to inetd,
but state so clearly through conflicts.

I have just filed a wishlist bug against the file
DebianNet.pm in package netbase.  Imho, it should be
augmented by an interface to also read inetd - items.
Later, that interface could be ported to xinetd.  Still
later, that might be the interface to code your package
against, so it supports us xinetd - users, too.

Regards,

Andreas

andreas.krueger@online.life.de