Re: I broke it - again.

Hi!

On Sat, 7 Oct 2000, Colin Watson wrote:

> e9625136@stud3.tuwien.ac.at wrote:
> >On Fri, Oct 06, 2000 at 12:47:03AM +0200, Petr Cech wrote:
> >> downgrade ldso
> >
> >nice suggestion, but did you ever try to downgrade something when dpkg
> >doesn't work ? I don't believe you did. But I'm sorry in this case your
> >suggestion as easy as it seems will not work.
>
> If I can unpack .debs on a Red Hat system, then I can unpack them on a
> broken Debian system ...

Of course you can. But the one posting the question doesn't seem  to be
familiar with debian enough.
Anyway how would someone know where to search for the program he is in
search of? Actually there is no ldconfig - package in unstable. ldconfig
is in  ld.so. So when somebody is not familiar, just suggesting to
downgrade is not the proper idea. Even pointing out to the force option is
in this situation very unwise. That leaves some newbie in the situation to
cope with a broken system when he doesn't start downgrading with ld.so.

> That is, you don't need dpkg to unpack Debian packages; you just need
> ar, gunzip, and tar. Read deb(5).

yeah, I DID KNOW THAT, I just was in a hurry to get to bed after a
workfull day. Anyway it's not very easy to answere and speak about all
relating topics.
But do you think the creators of the whole packaging system suppose you to
manually upgrade/downgrade everything? I should normally work without much
user-interference.

--
kind regards,
Michael Moerz