httpd packages question

I've started to package mini_httpd (http://www.acme.com/software/mini_httpd/)
and have a question concerning the web root / cgi-bin directories on
debian systems:

According to the debian-policy document, the directory for cgi-bin executables
is /usr/lib/cgi-bin

The same document specifies that the web document root should be /var/www

In the case of mini_httpd, this causes a problem because in order to set its
document root to the specified directory, mini_httpd calls chroot (), making
/usr/lib/cgi-bin unaccessible. The only possible solution I can see would be
to create a symlink /var/www/cgi-bin to /usr/lib/cgi-bin (e.g. in the
postinstall script), however, this might cause problems for other web servers.
Is this the right solution?

Also, if the /var/www and /usr/lib/cgi-bin directories do not exist, am I
responsible for creating them?

--
| Leonard Stiles <ljs@uk2.net> |