Re: Can I use dpkg -i to install in /usr/local or /opt?

Hi,

On Wed, Sep 27, 2000 at 06:38:02AM +0200, Friedrich Dominicus wrote:
> You points are as good as one can think of. But please consider what

Thanks.

> Debian is working for. The want to be fully conformant to whatever
> Standard will be there for files and directories. Now one of the
> points is. No vendors should install anything below /usr/local. The
> point is if you make it easy to instal whereever you like. This will
> be done and all the work on standards will go downhill.

Note: I don't say, that any package should install anywhere
else as before, nor do I say Debian or some vendor should
place packages in non-standard places.  Instead I say, a
sysadmin, or another user with sufficient privileges should
be able to use the dpkg tool to place package files under
/usr/local or /home/foobar.  Of course, admin can unpack
a deb using ar and place anything under /usr/local, but
shouldn't Debian help her with a great tool, dpkg?

Cheers,
--
W. Borgert <debacle@debian.org>