Re: Can I use dpkg -i to install in /usr/local or /opt?

The .deb files are just ar archives. You can always extract the data
component and untar it anywhere you have write permissions. A fairly
simple script could automate the process for you, but dpkg isn't the tool
you are looking for, as it is intended to only let you do the right thing.

No, I'm not saying you want to do something wrong, only that it is outside
the scope of dpkg, and can be done without resorting to the package tools.

Midnight commander would be a better tool, as you can extract single files
from the .deb binary archives file using mc.

Luck,

On Mon, 25 Sep 2000, Ethan Benson wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 25, 2000 at 09:33:48PM +0000, W. Borgert wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > the subject says it all.  Can I (or maybe even a user w/o
> > root privileges) install a .deb in a safe place?  Of course,
> > this would not work for daemons or libc, but it would be
> > very useful for some tools and libs.  It would be very sad
> > to not have all the power of Debians dpkg/apt if it comes
> > to local installation!  But I didn't see anything about it
> > in the manual pages - did I miss it?
>
> i don't think so, i was looking into installing half of a debian
> system in the confines of my home directory on a linuxppc 2000 box
> (linuxppc is rather broken so i wanted to replace all the broken crap
> with usable debian stuff, but i don't have root)  i could not get dpkg
> to let me do much of anything like that non-root though.
>
> if you have root you can have dpkg chroot itself somewhere else and
> maintain seperate databases and everything.  i think that is as close
> as you will get.
>
> it would be cool if .debs could be installed in the confines of a
> user's $HOME but i think it would severly complicate packaging policy...
>
> --
> Ethan Benson
> http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/

Dwarf