Re: Can I use dpkg -i to install in /usr/local or /opt?

On Mon, Sep 25, 2000 at 09:33:48PM +0000, W. Borgert wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the subject says it all.  Can I (or maybe even a user w/o
> root privileges) install a .deb in a safe place?  Of course,
> this would not work for daemons or libc, but it would be
> very useful for some tools and libs.  It would be very sad
> to not have all the power of Debians dpkg/apt if it comes
> to local installation!  But I didn't see anything about it
> in the manual pages - did I miss it?

i don't think so, i was looking into installing half of a debian
system in the confines of my home directory on a linuxppc 2000 box
(linuxppc is rather broken so i wanted to replace all the broken crap
with usable debian stuff, but i don't have root)  i could not get dpkg
to let me do much of anything like that non-root though.

if you have root you can have dpkg chroot itself somewhere else and
maintain seperate databases and everything.  i think that is as close
as you will get.

it would be cool if .debs could be installed in the confines of a
user's $HOME but i think it would severly complicate packaging policy...

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/