Re: HOWTO: Join the 6bone!

On Sun, 24 Sep 2000, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> >>"Henrique" == Henrique M Holschuh <hmh+debianml@rcm.org.br> writes:
>  Henrique> As long as the built-in kernel firewall and all daemons
>  Henrique> that are priority standard or above are _audited_ and
>  Henrique> patched to work fine with ipv6, I'd say it's a laudable
>  Henrique> goal.
>
> 	Has this audit been performed for IPV4? Or are you asking for
>  an additional level of security just for IPV6?

Maybe in one of the BSDs, but not in Linux I guess :-)

No, I am not asking for an *additional* level of security. I just don't want
what little we have right now to be shot to hell.

To be more precise: I just don't like the idea of introducing "we should
have fixed this damn obvious hole, but we didn't even care to test for it"
security holes, such as:

  1. A tcp wrappers which will simply allow any ipv6 connects through,
     regardless of hosts.deny
  2. A kernel firewall which cannot deal with ipv6, so one has to leave
     the machine open to ipv6 attacks if ipv6 is active.

I didn't mean "audited" as in full security audit. I mean it as: does this
thing keeps all its documented functionality intact in a ipv6 scenario?  If
it fails, does it fails in a benign way (such as always denying the
connection attempt)?

Most apps which are not ipv6-ready are probably not going to give us
security problems, but any apps which have built-in (ip-based) access
control really should be tested. I don't want apache to start accepting ipv6
requests *by default* and not applying its internal access controls to these
requests correctly, for example.

Right now, if a ipv6 module is provided by default, /etc/modutils/aliases
WILL allow the module to be installed automatically (argh!). I sure hope
this still doesn't allow inbound ipv6 packets to reach ipv6-aware userland
somehow without explict ifconfig/ip configuration (I don't know enough about
the issue).

I fear that if Debian does a botched job of a ipv6 deployment in the
standard packages and allow ipv6 to be activated (and configured) by
default, it could become a security nightmare for the uninitiated... and our
*defaults* really should avoid that IMHO.

If ipv6 is going to be *forced disabled* by default, requiring explict
action to configure the machine for ipv6 (such as a "Do you want ipv6
support enabled by default... warning: don't enable it if you don't need
it"), then I will feel much better about the issue.

  Henrique Holschuh